About Us

      Nolan Funeral Home was founded in 1948 by James P. Nolan, Sr. and his wife Anne T. Nolan. Jim and Anne met at Kings Park Hospital where they were both registered nurses. Jim left nursing to attend American Academy Institute of Funeral Service where he earned his Funeral Directing License. Jim did his residency at Clayton Funeral Home in Kings Park, until 1947. 

Jim and Anne decided to open their own Funeral Home in Northport. The building was erected and opened for business in October, 1948. They steadily built their business through hard work, and a determined mind, to give families the best service possible. Business did so well that they added-on to the original building in 1958. A year later their eldest son Jim, Jr. began working at the Funeral Home full time, and was followed by his brother Peter in 1963. The building went under another expansion in 1968, to how it stands today. 

It was in July of 1982, that the sign in front was changed to Nolan Taylor-Howe. Taylor- Howe was a local funeral business with a history of its own.

The first funeral home in the Village of Northport was S. Robbins funeral home opened and run out of a furniture store in 1894. In 1935 S. Robbins and Son Funeral Home, run by Harry Taylor and Robert N. Davis, opened a new building at 81 Scudder Avenue in Northport. It was the first separate building used only as a Funeral Home in the Town of Huntington. Harry Taylor managed the funeral home, with his partner Robert N. Davis. In 1946 Harry Taylor bought out his partner and changed the name to Taylor Funeral Home.  

In Novembr of 1963 Harold Howe, a Funeral Director form Freeport, moved to Northport, and started working for Mr. Taylor. In June of 1968, he bought the business from Mr. Taylor. While running the funeral home, Harold became very active in the Northport community. He became a member of the Northport Fire Department in January of 1965, and served as the Department treasurer from 1972 through 2002. He joined the Northport Rotary Club in 1964, served as President in 1972, and is still active today. Harold was the Treasurer for the Northport Historical Society, a Scoutmaster, and will be a Mason for 50 Years in 2009. 

Harold ran the business until 1981, when he merged with Nolan Funeral Home. On July 1, 1982 the Nolan & Taylor-Howe Funeral Home began its business at 5 Laurel Avenue.

This is the History of our building and our founders. The funeral home has three viewing rooms, that range in size to accommodate any and all needs. We have a separate children’s play room, and are handicapped accessible. We encourage anybody to stop in and see our beautiful building.